Skidmore, Copper Halfpenny, c1795, (D&H Middlesex 310b) Obv:A view of a church with a small shield of arms above. Around the perimeter HACKNEY CHURCH. Ex: MCCXC The M of the date is centered under the window of the building above; Rev:A cypher D A R, a knife and palm branch crossed below, a wreath above. Around the perimeter HACKNEY PROMISSORY TOKEN 1795 Small letters in legend, small date. Open wreath centered under the M of PROMISSORY; Edge: plain, not in collar (Conder p.83, 121; Atkins p. 84, 153a; D&H Middlesex 310b)
Very choice uncirculated and with a fair amount of original color remaining. Rare.
Skidmore & Son, Founded by John Skidmore (1748-1823) and later joined by his second son, Paul (b. 1775) in 1795 or 1796. They carried on an iron-foundry and held the appointment of stovegrate maker to His Majesty's Board of Ordance. After becoming Skidmore & Son they produced numerous tokens, ultimately responsible for more than a quarter of all the token varieties produced in the late 18th century, including those issued by Matthew Denton, Thomas Prattent, and Thomas Spence.
Provenance: A H Baldwin & Sons